As you grow playing the game of tennis your body will grow with you. Naturally this means that as a player you will become more strong, this translates into power for your game.
Using this strength the right way in tennis will help you build a power game that will put your opponents on the defensive, from there the point, game and match are yours.
Some drills that help with developing upper and core power:
- Medicine ball throw drills, from the forehand and backhand sides
- Throwing the medicine ball on the ground with a lift off on the feet
- Throwing the medicine ball up in the air while lifting your feet once again
- Hopping over cones and balancing on the outside leg, then catch and throw the medicine ball
- Hop over 3 sets of cones towards the baseline and sprint to the net
Here’s a video of some of the above drills we did as part of the initiative by the India Tennis League to help players take their games up a few levels.